The voice of urban opportunity
ICIC's mission is to drive economic prosperity in America's inner cities through private sector investment to create jobs, income and wealth for local residents. ICIC brings together corporate and financial leaders with public officials, civic groups and foundations to develop business-led solutions to challenges facing inner city economies.
- ICIC, in collaboration with hundreds of local business and civic leaders, has advised more than a dozen U.S. cities about economic growth strategies.
- Foundations and community organizations are focusing on market-driven approaches and supporting ICIC’s studies of local cluster job creation, new industrial strategies for cities and the capital gap impacting urban businesses.
- Utilizing ICIC’s strategic framework, urban anchor institutions such as universities and healthcare institutions are leading the way in energizing the local economic “eco-systems” around their facilities.
- ICIC’s Inner City Capital Connections program has helped inner city companies raise over $372 million in growth capital from investors.
- ICIC’s Inner City 100 companies, nominated by a nationwide network of elected officials, economic developers, chambers of commerce and other businesses, have created nearly 70,000 new jobs between 1999 and 2010.
- ICIC’s identification of $89 billion retail opportunity has stimulated investment in inner city locations, producing more choices and more jobs for residents – and profits for retailers.
ICIC’s work is dependent upon the commitment and involvement of a wide array of working partners: individuals, elected officials, economic developers, corporations, foundations and small business owners. Whether it’s nominating a company for the Inner City 100, participating in the Inner City Economic Forum, commissioning a study or accessing data about your inner city, there are several ways to get involved.
To learn more about what you or your organization can do with ICIC, contact Mary Kay Leonard, ICIC’s President and CEO, at email@example.com, 617-238-3002.
How does Your City Stack Up?
ICIC invites you to get a market profile for your inner city and others.
ICIC brings real insight to the question of inner city economic development. I am optimistic that turning ICIC's insights into reality represents our best hope for bringing prosperity back to our urban cores.
Co-Chairman of the Board
The Boston Consulting Group
ICIC is the voice of inner cities future. They have been there. They know the potential. They know who to work with… and what works.
Secretary of Economic Development
Commonwealth of Massachusetts