The voice of urban opportunity
Who We Are
The Initiative for a Competitive Inner City is a nonprofit research and strategy organization and the leading authority on U.S. inner city economies and the businesses that thrive there. Founded in 1994 by Harvard Business School Professor Michael Porter, ICIC strengthens inner city economies by providing businesses, governments and investors with the most comprehensive and actionable information in the field about urban market opportunities.
- We promote a dynamic urban marketplace powered by diversity, creative enterprise and untapped competitive advantages.
- We determine the industry clusters with the highest market opportunity for inner city business growth and job creation.
- We teach inner city businesses how to compete for capital and gain access to capital providers.
- We guide financial institutions to new investment opportunities and some of the world's fastest-growing companies.
- We identify critical factors for economic growth in urban environments and inform public officials about the best practices that produce the most significant effects.
ICIC’s unique knowledge of inner city success factors and growing companies is developed from specialized urban networks and path-breaking research.
Download ICIC's Fact Sheet
ICIC's mission is to drive economic prosperity in America's inner cities through private sector investment to create jobs, income and wealth for local residents.
ICIC in Action
- ICIC research awakened major retailers to a billion dollar market opportunity in America’s inner cities, where income density is eight times greater than in the suburbs.
- Inner City 100 companies created over 73,000 new jobs – and 96% provide health benefits - between 1999 and 2012.
- Inner City Capital Connections (ICCC) companies have generated 2,790 jobs and raised $406 million in capital
Inner city residents need jobs near their homes that offer good pay and the prospect of long-term employment. These can be created only by businesses.
Professor Michael E. Porter,
Founder and Chairman
ICIC brings the magic of the market to inner city economic development. This approach is what we need to create jobs for our fellow Americans and strengthen the tax base of our cities.
El Dorado Capital